Apprenticeship Patterns: Prepetual Learning

 I find the assertion that one is never done learning to be very true to life. One's skills as a software developer should be iterated upon just like the very programs we craft. The section on perpetual learning provided  many interesting examples of ways to tackle improving one's own knowledge base and skillset. I want to cover some of my favorite sections in this blog post and over the course of the next couple blog posts.

Expand Your Bandwidth

I constantly get the feeling that my knowledge in my career is always much shallower than it should be. The suggestions provided at the start with Google Reader and following software luminaries seemed interesting, but I was much more interested in looking at online courses and podcasts. I want to be able to constantly expand my knowledge base and explore new horizons.  This reminds me of when I was keeping up to date with a subreddit that was all about mesh networks and peer-to-peer computing. It sprung up in the aftermath of network neutrality being struck down, and a lot of people on there were proposing creating a giant open source mesh network to combat predatory internet service providers. It had the overly ambitious goal of decentralizing the internet which ,suffice to say, has not come to pass yet, although I’ve heard that the emergent Web 3.0 is supposed to be it. I was fascinated by the ingenuity of using a bunch of Raspberry Pis to create mesh networks all around a city. I want to reignite some of my passion for obtaining new knowledge and explore what is new today. I know A.I. has gotten a lot of publicity, to the point of becoming something like a buzzword, but I want to see what the other sectors of the tech industry are working on. Thanks to writing this blogpost I went and looked to find new sources of information. I even started perusing reddit, specifically in the technology and programming tag,  again to search for any new and interesting developments. I have already checked out the r/webdev amd r/learnprogramming for some tips.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Open Source Software in Education

Remote Work

Code Etiquette Across Languages