Sprint 3 Retrospective

 

In Sprint 3 I worked on finishing the checkinventoryfrontend. With the shorter time of the sprint, I went to work on fixing an issue I encountered in the previous sprint where the frontend would only display an error message saying that there was some problem in the html. At the same time I was trying to figure out how to get npm to work in the new file structure, since when I try calling npm in the terminal it kept failing. For the longest time I couldn’t figure out how to get the frontend to display correctly, trying all sorts of solutions from moving the package.json file around to deleting the deprecated yarnlock file. Eventually, I settled on figuring out how to change the npm files to allow npm to reach the new frontend folder I made. At some point, Jason asked if there was anything the rest of the team could work on in checkinventoryfrontend, and I said the documentation needed to be updated and that nodemon needed to be implemented. Jason then created a separate branch based on mine called implementing-nodemon, where he changed the package.json and gitpod.yaml files to have nodemon and other dependencies. 

https://gitlab.com/LibreFoodPantry/client-solutions/theas-pantry/inventorysystem/checkinventoryfrontend/-/tree/implementing-nodemon?ref_type=heads

Somehow, over the course of these dependencies being added, the frontend started working again. The error must have been rooted in one of the dependencies not working properly, or something to that effect. I looked int o the changes Jason made, and he added a section to the gitpod.yaml that would of implemented certain npm dependencies.

https://gitlab.com/LibreFoodPantry/client-solutions/theas-pantry/inventorysystem/checkinventoryfrontend/-/commit/997bd2bd2197def31c8ae29efea071f9d07e077f

 Either way I'm just happy to be able to finish up the work in the frontend. I went into Jason’s branch and cleaned up some of the shell files so that they work as intended. The frontend-dev-up.sh file needed to use frontend-dev instead of dev since that is what npm recognises in this repo. Also, frontend restart needed to use the proper name of frontend-prod-down and up.

https://gitlab.com/LibreFoodPantry/client-solutions/theas-pantry/inventorysystem/checkinventoryfrontend/-/commit/480596810546e3286f8821d24cafe68bcd0fc1df

Then I started on cleaning up my own work for the next semester. I removed the branches I had created since they either were redundant or straight up didn’t work. Then I cleaned some deprecated files out of the implementing nodemon branch while I was fixing the shell files, like an extra package json file that was created in the base repo. 

I learned a lot about working with the frontend throughout this sprint, and the entirety of the semester for that matter. I definitely want to brush up on how npm works and functions, because I feel like most of my problems stem from a lack of understanding. I also want to give credit to my team, who have helped me out more than they realize, especially since I have been balancing my work and school life. Hopefully the final presentation represents all of our efforts over the semester.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Open Source Software in Education

Remote Work

Sprint-1 Retrospective